It is in the interest of the Engineering Society that all undergraduate engineering students who wish to attend an academic conference or design competition to represent Skule, EngSoc and the University of Toronto to the engineering community have the opportunity to do so, without being restricted by financial needs. All undergraduate engineering students may thus apply for a subsidy from the Engineering Society to attend an academic conference or design competition that clearly demonstrates these points.
Expenses eligible for reimbursement include any travel, accommodation, and registration costs related to the conference/competition. Students may apply as individuals or as members of a club attending a conference or competition as a group. A club executive need apply only once on behalf of all attending members. Please keep in mind the following points:
- Individuals can only be approved for conference funding once per fiscal year, whether as an individual or with a club
- This fund only applies to conferences that students/clubs attend, not direct or organize. Please apply for Affiliated Club Funding and Special Projects for student run initiatives.
- The Engineering Society reserves the right to compare your application against others as funding is limited.
- Students applying for conference funding must be Undergraduate Engineering Students at the University of Toronto.
Finances and Logistics
While the Engineering Society does its best to accommodate all applications, the Miscellaneous Conference Fund is limited. The following restrictions thus apply:
- The maximum amount that may be received is 25% up to $200 of the expenses associated with the conference/competition, per individual.
- A maximum amount of $2000 may be allocated towards each conference/competition.
- The conference/competition costs must occur in the current fiscal year, that starts June 1 and ends May 31 of the next calendar year. If the expenses occur in the next fiscal year, you will need to submit an application after May 31.
- The funding pool is limited - it may be possible that the funding pool be exhausted before you apply. Applying early with cost estimates is encouraged.
Application ProcessApplication Download
- Fill in the written application. Please only use the space provided.
- Fill in the excel template to detail the expenses. Detail the total expenses across the all members. The file will calculate the total amount of funding you should receive.
- Email both the application and the excel file to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with the subject:
“Conference Funding – (Name of Organization/Conference)”
- The application will be discussed by the Finance Committee to reach a recommendation. Once the recommendation is approved by the Board, the finance secretary will let you know if your conference funding has been approved or rejected.
Note: The written application consists of two parts – conference details and a conference review. If you submit the first part of the application before the conference has occurred, the Finance Committee may confirm your funding amount beforehand. This funding will be reimbursed once the second part of application and a cheque requisition has been submitted.
Applications to this fund are accepted on a rolling basis. Once the application is received, it will be reviewed in the subsequent Finance Committee meeting. The turnaround time for applications is approximately one month. If we are requesting more information from you, we recommend you send it as soon as possible so we can process it at the next meeting, and minimize any delays in the process. You may also be requested to meet with the Finance Committee during this process.
Once the funding is approved and all parts of the application have been submitted, please submit a cheque requisition to claim any expenses. Visit Cheque Requisitions for more information.
If you have any questions about Conference funding, please contact the VP Finance at firstname.lastname@example.org.